If you’re new at playing this sport or have a pickleball match soon and don’t remember the basic rules, don’t worry.
At Coral Canyon Resort we’re going to show you 5 important rules you must consider before playing pickleball.
Basic Pickleball Rules
#1 About Scoring
If your team scores 11 points by 2 points led you’ll win the game. Although for pickleball tournaments, you’ll need to score 15 or 21, always with a 2 point led. In both cases, the points have to be scored only by the serving team. Don’t forget that the score should be said aloud before each serve with the serving team’s scores stated first.
#2 Double Bounce Rule
It’s important to know that when the ball is served, the receiving team should let it bounce before they return the ball and the serving team should do the same, that’s known as double bounce rule. Also, you must consider that the double bounce rule eliminates the serve and volley advantage and extends rallies.
#3 The Importance of the Serve
You must have at least one of your feet behind the baseline when the serve is initiated. In addition, none of your feet should contact the baseline or court until after the ball is struck. The serve must be made diagonally crosscourt and underhand. If the paddle contact is above the service waste it’ll not be considered.
#4 Line Calls
If the ball contacts any line is considered “in” meaning that you’ll get a point, with the only exception that if the ball contacts the non-volley zone line on a serve. If you’re serving and make contact with the non-volley zone line you’ll be making a fault. You should be careful, it’s a common mistake.
#5 Common Faults
It’s easy to make faults while playing, that’s why you should consider preventing some of the things we’re going to mention in your next pickleball match.
- The ball is hit into the net or out of bounds
- A serve does not land within the confines of the receiving court
- The ball is volleyed before a bounce has occurred on each side after the serve
- A ball is volleyed from within the non-volley zone
- A ball bounces twice before being struck by the receiver
- A player, player’s clothing, or any part of a player’s paddle touches the net or the net post when the ball is in play
- There is a violation of a service rule
- A ball in play strikes a player or anything the player is wearing or carrying
If you are looking for a nice place to have a great family time and also play Pickleball, take a look at Town Center Resort at Coral Canyon Resort, we have 2 pickleball courts onsite for guests to use and enjoy great family matches.
Start planning your next family reunion or some days off, contact us to help you book a Southern Utah rental.